Is it wise to make a warm floor as the main heating?
It is reasonable to use electric underfloor heating as the main form of heating only in private homes. In an apartment, using such a heating system is extremely logical for several reasons:
- You still have to pay for heating because risers will pass through your apartment.
- Overlapping the central system is quite problematic, and expensive (dismantling the batteries, changing the pipe system, welding, etc.).
As you can see, in apartments the ability to use an electric floor heating as the main heating is not advisable due to several significant shortcomings. If city services do not suit you, you can just do independent apartment heatingwithout shutting down the central system. This solution to the problem is recommended to be applied if the housing and communal services starts the heating season late and you only need to temporarily get out of the situation.
By the way, the water floor heating system also cannot be used in apartment buildings, because it is prohibited by law. The reason is obvious - hot water will pass under your flooring, cool down and only after that will flow further to the neighbors.
As for the use of electric underfloor heating as the main heating of a house, one can already think about whether to do it or not. The only thing that can stop you is the monthly cost of paying the bill for light. If you make an economical system, install two-rate counter electricity and you will include heating wisely, while the main form of heating such an option will be quite reasonable.
The advantages in this case are as follows:
- Ease of installation. Make a warm floor under the laminate even a person without special skills will be able to.
- A heating cable, a thermomat or a film will not occupy the free space of rooms, unlike radiators or convectors.
- Good warming up of the rooms. Heat will be radiated evenly over the entire area of the private house.
- Long service life with proper installation and use.
- No need to spend money to buy a boiler and other equipment.
- The cost of creating an electric floor heating (as the main one) is at least 2 times cheaper than water.
Of the minuses of the warm floor as the main heating of a private house, we can distinguish:
- The site should not have problems with energy supply, otherwise in winter there is every chance of freezing if the lights are turned off for a long time.
- Far from all regions, the cost of a kilowatt of electricity is acceptable. First of all, you need to consider the costs, so that later you do not encounter material problems.We provided the cost calculation in detail in the article - how much electricity does a warm floor consume.
- A heating cable or infrared film coating should not be placed under the places of installation of household appliances and furniture. If the underfloor heating will be used as the main heating, so-called cold bridges can form just in unheated places. As a result, as reviews on thematic forums show, significant heat loss and the formation of dampness on the walls can be present.
As you can see, the possibility of using this heating option as the main one has its advantages and disadvantages. To begin with, in relation to your conditions, weigh the pros and cons, and then draw a conclusion. We also recommend watching the video below, which provides a more modern version of the main heating in the cottage.
We hope that the information will allow you to decide whether it is possible to use an electric heated floor as the main heating of a private house or apartment.
It will be useful to read: